Citizens Advice Bureau Jersey

Our advice is available in the following ways:


Non -Resident Undertaking or Business (13.13.1. L1 )


Non-Resident Undertaking or Business


Extent:       Jersey
Updated:    12 September 2017



Words you may need to know


Trader – someone who buys and sells goods or services

Permission – this is an agreement to allow something to happen

Individual – a person

Business – this can be any type of business

Service –you ‘offer a service’ if you do something for other people eg accounts; giving a beauty service.



Any company or individual who wishes to carry out a business or give a service in Jersey should contact the Population Office to find out about the permissions that are needed.

The law that applies is the Control of Housing and Work (Jersey) Law 2012



Application as a Non-Resident Trader :

A non-resident trader is someone who does not live in Jersey or have business premises in Jersey. However, for a full definition of a ‘non-resident trader’ see  Part 7 of the law  under ‘Interpretation.’

(Note: a hawker is not a non-resident trader. See:  13.13.12.L2 )

A non-resident trading licence is required if you intend to buy and sell goods and / or services in the Island. The licence must be granted before any activity starts.

You can download an application form from the website. Check the application form for terms and how much any fees will cost.


A minimum of 10 working days is required to process the application.

Contact details:

Population Office

Tel:                              01534 445505

Email:                         This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Hours of Opening:      Monday to Friday 8.30am - 5pm



Population Office,  PO Box 55,  Philip Le Feuvre House,  La Motte Street, St Helier JE4 8PE