Citizens Advice Bureau Jersey

Our advice is available in the following ways:


Attestation Certificates ( 2.7.3.L2 )


Travel to France - Attestation Certificates


Extent:       Jersey
Updated:    December 2018



Words you may need to know


In-patient – you are an in-patient if you have to stay in hospital to receive treatment

Medical treatment - relating to, involving, or used in medicine or treatment given by doctors

Minor - a young person

Co-habiting - two or more people living together

Renewed - made new


Medical treatment for visitors to France

The Reciprocal Health Scheme covers British and French nationals who normally live in Jersey and are registered under the Jersey Social Security Scheme.

The agreement is for visitors to France who need urgent hospital in-patient treatment. It does not cover any other medical services.

The patient (visitor) will not normally pay more than 20% of the total cost of the treatment. The rest of the cost will be paid for by the French Social Security Authorities.


The whole family can go under the father's name unless the father is not a British or a French national. If he is neither, then the whole family go in the mother's name provided that she is a British or French national.

After their 16th birthday a minor needs to have their own attestation certificate.

Co-habiting couples

The man and woman will have separate certificates.

Where do you get an Attestation Certificate from?

An Attestation Certificate is available free of charge from:- Customer and Local Services, Philip Le Feuvre House, La Motte Street, St Helier.

How long does it take to get?

If it is by personal application, e.g. calling in personally to Customer and Local Services, the attestation certificate is given straight away.

For a postal application, allow up to two weeks.

How long is it valid for?

The Certificate is valid for one year from the date it is issued and it can be renewed by applying to the Department each year.

After five years you have to apply for a new certificate.