Citizens Advice Bureau Jersey

Our advice is available in the following ways:




Dental malpractice and complaints

Extent: Jersey
Updated 19 July 2019

Words you may need to know

Categories - areas

Malpractice / inappropriate treatment - bad practice/ poor standard of work or treatment given when not necessary

Independent assessment - another dentist looks at the work and gives their opinion on the standard and quality of it

Negotiation - trying to reach agreement

Instalments - paying a bit at a time

Categories of complaints

Complaints about dentists fall into two categories:-

Complaints about malpractice or inappropriate treatment, see para 2

Complaints about charges, see para 6


Who to complain to:

If you are not happy with the treatment you have received by a Jersey dentist, you may make a complaint to:

·         the dentist concerned

·         the President of the Jersey Dental Association

The General Dental Council [GDC], 37 Wimpole Street, London. W1N 8DQ. To report a complaint, see


Tell your Dentist you are not happy

You should speak to speak to your dentist to make sure you have understood the treatment you have been given, and any problems that may have happened. You may be able to agree on the fee charged - see Charges para 6

Independent assessment

If the result of poor treatment is so bad that you are thinking of legal action, it is important for you to get an independent assessment of the treatment. You could get this from:

·         any other dentist

·         a recognised specialist in the Island (Addresses from the President of the Jersey Dental Association)

Legal action

Legal action can take a long time and may prove expensive. You should take the advice of your lawyer on whether to go ahead. The last thing you want is to pay more in legal fees than you get back, but if you were successful, you may be able to get compensation for unnecessary pain and suffering and your costs.


How much does a dentist charge?

Each Dentist is free to charge what they like.

Negotiation / time to pay

Complaints about the charge a dentist has made should be discussed first with the dentist, who may feel able to lower the charge, or take payment in instalments. You should really have discussed charges for large scale work before it is started.

Jersey Dental Association

If you are still unhappy with the charge made, and if treatment has been unsuccessful, you could contact the president of the Jersey Dental Association, who would look into the matter.


Dr Ciaran Milner LDS RCS

Central Dental Surgery

The Parade

St Helier



Tel: 766 383


Registration of Jersey dentists


All local dentists have to register with the General Dental Council and with the Royal Court.