Citizens Advice Bureau Jersey

Our advice is available in the following ways:



Domestic Violence

Extent: Jersey
Updated 10 August 2018


Words you might need to know

Domestic Violence - violence that happens in the home between two people who have been loving partners; ‘any form of physical, emotional, sexual or financial abuse which is used to gain power and control over the other person in an intimate relationship’ (Jersey Women’s Refuge).

Harassing- behaving in a way that worries or troubles someone 

Injunction - an order made by the Court that makes someone stop doing something immediately. Injunctions can include conditions eg that someone is to stay a certain distance away from somebody else

Campaign – an organised event or number of events to raise awareness or educate people about something

Highlight – bring attention to something

Distressing - upsetting

Long term measure -  a way of doing things that will need to be continued

for a long time

Molesting - interfering in an unpleasant manner

Probation Order - an order made by the Court which requires a person to be of good behaviour or else face going back to Court. Conditions are attached. See Probation Service 4.32.1

Security precaution - something you do to help make sure you are safe



How to deal with cases

The first thing to do when dealing with cases involving domestic violence is to make sure the victim and any children involved are safe.


A woman who is the victim of domestic violence

A woman who is suffering from mental or physical violence can always ask the Women’s Refuge for help at any time. They offer advice, counselling and a safe place to go and stay.


To contact the Woman's Refuge

Telephone: 0800 735 6836. A woman may call free at any time.


There is also information on their website:


It is also possible to meet a member of the Women’s Refuge staff outside of the Women’s Refuge. This member of staff is called an ‘Outreach Worker’ and she can arrange to meet someone who needs help in a place that they choose eg at home or in a park.  Email:  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.



A man who is the victim of domestic violence

A man who is the victim of domestic violence can contact the Men's Refuge at Sanctuary House, High Street, St. Aubin on 743732 or 07700 333912.

Jersey Domestic Abuse Support

JDAS is an independent service developed to protect and support victims of domestic abuse and sexual abuse.

Independent Domestic Violence Advisors (IDVAs) address the safety of victims at a high risk of harm from intimate partners, ex-partners or family members to secure their dafety and the safety of this children.

Independent Sexual Violence Advisors (ISVAs) play an important role in providing specialist, tailored support to victims and survivors of sexual violence.  An ISVA is an adviser who works with people who have experienced rape and sexual assault, irrespective of whether they have reported to the police.

Telephone: 880505

E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.



Domestic Abuse Disclosure Scheme  (‘Clare’s Law’)

This scheme was started after the case of Clare Wood in England.

The scheme has two purposes:

‘the right to ask’ – this enables someone to ask the police about a partner’s previous history of domestic violence or violent acts

‘the right to know’ this allows the police to proactively disclose information in certain circumstances

There is more information about how the scheme works on the Jersey police website:


Legal action

If the Courts and the Police get involved in a domestic violence case it can make the violent person realise what might happen to them because of their behaviour. The violent person might stop their behaviour if they realise that they could be sent to prison for it.



An injunction is a Court order to restrain (stop) the violent person from molesting or harassing someone or to stop them from going to the person’s home.


It is possible to obtain an injunction urgently if required. A person needs a lawyer to get an injunction.


Some people will have their own lawyer but if not a phone call can be made to the person in charge of the Legal Aid Scheme, the Acting Bâtonnier, to see if it would be possible to get a lawyer under the Scheme. (See 4.3.2) 


Someone who gets an injunction order made against someone who is violent should also take some sensible security precautions as well eg

-          change the locks on doors

-          have a friend or family member move in to live with them

-          tell the honorary police in their parish what is happening


However, Court orders should only be a part of the solution for how a person deals with the problem of the domestic violence. They should not be relied on as a long term measure. For example, being served with an injunction may not stop a violent person being violent. It is possible that they might get more angry and the situation could get worse.


Prosecution and punishment

The police will bring a case against anyone who has committed an act of domestic violence if they think there is enough evidence to prove the person has done it. The person who has suffered the domestic violence (the ‘victim’) must also agree to make a complaint to the police which they intend the police to act on. This is known as a ‘formal complaint.’


Once a formal complaint is made the police can take action against the person who has committed the offence. Once a formal complaint is made it is possible that the case will become public and other people will hear about it.



Public voluntary sector bodies in Jersey have joined together to develop Multi Agency Risk Assessment Conference (‘MARAC’).

The organisations who are members of MARAC aim to work together to try and  prevent further harm to victims of domestic abuse and their children and to help those are affected.

For more details see:



ADAPT training

There is now a programme for men who would like to stop their abusive behaviour called ADAPT  (‘Adapt Domestic Abuse Prevention Training’).


The Court has the choice of sending someone on this training as a condition or part of a probation order. In order to be considered suitable for the ADAPT training men need to be assessed to see if they are willing to accept the need to change their behaviour.


The ADAPT programme is made up of five parts (‘modules’). Each part lasts for six weeks. A support worker keeps in touch with the female partner to keep them in touch with the man's progress.


The programme has been started by the Probation Service and the Jersey Domestic Violence Forum in conjunction with the Hampton Trust.


To find out more telephone 441916.



Jersey Action Against Rape:

JAAR is a charity that aims to prevent and heal the trauma of rape, sexual assault and sexual abuse, providing support for victims in Jersey and their families.   See 7.35.1


Helpline 01534 482800

Free counselling service available


Email:  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


For more information see:




A counselling service is offered by the Women's Refuge, (see 8.22.4.L2 ).


There are also people who work for themselves and run their own counselling service and who make a charge for their services. For more information see 10.5.5.L4 Private counselling services’.




Police contact details:


The States of Jersey Police                                        

Police Headquarters

La Route du Fort

St Helier





Tel:  Dial 999 (if in immediate danger)

         612612 (to report a crime)


        612239  (to ask Police Domestic Abuse Officers for help and advice)



Email (for general enquiries only):   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Visitor reception open:  8am – 8pm seven days per week