Citizens Advice Bureau Jersey

Our advice is available in the following ways:



End of employment - unemployment

Extent: Jersey
February 1998
Updated 20 December 2018

Words you may need to know


Attend – to go somewhere where you are expected eg to attend school, to attend a meeting

Adviser – someone who can give you advice about something

Signing on -  this is registering with Customer and Local Services as unemployed

Unemployed - without work

Entitlements - things that you may have a right to such as money or something you are able to do/ have

Social Security contributions - this is a percentage of your wage that is paid by an employee and an employer to Customer and Local Services to cover you for sickness benefit, pension or the long term care allowance

Qualify - meet the requirements of something such as being on island long enough or having paid previous amounts in

Consecutive - without a break

Involuntarily - unwillingly, against your will

Disciplinary – ‘disciplinary action’ against someone is when something is done because the person has not obeyed the rules



There is useful information on the States of Jersey website:


Signing on

If you are out of work you should go to the Work Zone at Customer and Local Services as soon as possible. An appointment will be made for you to see a Work Zone adviser. The adviser will explain your rights and entitlements under the Social Security Law.

Even though you are out of work you still need to pay Social Security contributions. You may qualify to have your Social Security contributions covered while you look for work. The adviser will tell you if you qualify and how the system works.

There is no Job Seeker's Allowance in Jersey. If you have no work and need help to live you may be able to apply to Customer and Local Services for Income Support Benefit. However, there are rules about how long you have lived in the island before you qualify for Income Support. For further details see:

A personal job application record [known as a ‘green card’] is given to you by the Work Zone. It is used to show that you go to the Work Zone regularly to look for work and it gives  a list of all your job applications. If you have been signed off sick by your doctor you cannot register as unemployed.

Work Zone at Customer and Local Services

You will find the Work Zone at Customer and Local Services, Philip Le Feuvre House, La Motte Street, St Helier JE4 8PE

Hours:    8.30 - 5.00 Monday to Friday           Email:  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Freephone 0800 735 1111, or telephone 445505


Staying registered

If you are unemployed, you will be expected to attend to the Work Zone weekly or monthly if Social Security contributions are being covered. If you do not go for over one month then you would be de-registered as unemployed because you have not attended.

Who can have contributions covered/ credited?

You must have lost your job involuntarily. If you left the job because you decided to or if you left because you were asked to leave (‘got sacked’) for a disciplinary reason your contributions cannot be covered.

Contributions cannot be covered/ credited for people who were previously self-employed.

How long can unemployment contributions be credited for?

If you are entitled to unemployment credits, then they will be paid for 13 weeks if required as long as you attend the Work Zone monthly. After the 13 weeks an unemployment review is carried out to discuss future credit entitlement.

Self-employed people

Self-employed people who have registered as unemployed can choose not to pay their own contributions. However if they do this it could affect their entitlement to benefits. They may be able to apply for a reduction in the amount of contributions due instead, based on their past earnings. Advice should be taken from Customer .

Sickness during unemployment

If you are registered as unemployed and then become sick, and therefore unfit for work, you can get a medical certificate from your doctor which you should take or send to Customer and Local Services. You may be entitled to Short-term Incapacity Allowance.  But you can't remain registered as unemployed if you are unfit for work.

For details see: