Citizens Advice Bureau Jersey

Our advice is available in the following ways:



New business start-up

Extent: Jersey
April 2007
Updated 15 August 2019


Words you may need to know


Registration - an entry in a register, or somebody or something whose name is put in a register

Incorporation - to give something the legal form of a corporation such as a company

Continuous - unbroken

Operated - carried out from

Seasonal vacancies - jobs that cover the summer season such as from March to September



The website has a useful information page on setting up a new business click here


Registration of Business name

You need to do this unless trading under your own name. 

Companies Registry,
Financial Services Commission,
P.O. Box 267,
14-18 Castle Street,
St. Helier, Jersey,

Helpline: 822030

A name search can be done by clicking on the following website:



It is strongly recommended that you get advice from a lawyer or an accountant.


Licence to Trade

Unless you are buying an existing business that already has licences for Registered Status employees, a licence is unlikely to be granted. The normal requirement is to have completed five years continuous residence.

A licence is required to start a business, whether operated from home or otherwise.

Contact Customer and Local Services, Phillip Le Feuvre House, La Motte Street, St Helier, JE4 8PE, Telephone 448930, e-mail This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Business Licencing

If you employ even a single person you must complete Manpower Returns. You need permission to take on Entitled, Licenced and Entitled for Work staff and any staff who have Registered Status. You must apply for permission to fill seasonal vacancies in your business although a licence granted last for a number of years may apply as long as overall numbers of staff do not increase. You can get full details from:


The Population Office, Telephone 448930, e-mail This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

For more detailed information see See 6.1.0.L2



A Change of Use permit may be needed from the Planning & Building Services department. If you are a tenant, you should get permission from your landlord. 


Business Advice for Locally Qualified Applicants

 Jersey Business

 Tel: 01534 610300

 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

 31 The Parade, St Helier, JE2 3QQ

 Tel: 01534 610300


Business Advice for Non-residents and Applicants with less than 5 Years Residency

Locate Jersey

Maritime House

La Route du Port Elizabeth

St Helier




Tel. 01534 440666


Professional Registration

Some professionals or occupations may need a formal registration with a States' Department or Royal Court. For health professionals, see 10.3.0.L2


Compulsory Employers' Liability Insurance

The Employers' Liability [Compulsory Insurance] [Jersey] Law 1973 requires employers to take out insurance cover against liability for bodily injury or disease their employees may suffer in the course of their employment.


Registration with Customer and Local Services

You must register with Customer and Local Services before you start trading and inform them that you will be self employed.  As a self employed person you will be liable to pay Class 2 contributions. Check that no exemptions apply for business start - ups.


Income tax

You will need to register your business and complete Income Tax Instalment System [ITIS] forms on a monthly basis for any staff you employ. You should also take advice on possible changes to your own tax liability and frequency of payment.


Employment Law

You must comply with the requirements of the Employment [Jersey] Law 2003 if you employ any staff. A free booklet for employers is available from the Jersey Advisory and Conciliation Service - JACS.